Year 6 2023 - 2024
Welcome to Year 6!
Staff: Miss Treasure Mr Thompson
Geography: What is life like in the Alps?
During this half term, our Geography lessons will focus on what life is like in the Alps. We will locate the countries that the mountain range covers, look at the human and physcal features of the Alps, focus on Innsbruck and then compare Innsbruck to Weaverham.
In the first part of the Spring Term, our English lessons will focus on the book: Shackleton's Journey by William Grill. We will research Antarctica and write journal entries from the expedition, focussing on a range of writing skills.
Mastery Keys - National Curriculum expectations
- Distinguishing between the language of speech and writing.
- Recognising vocabulary and structures for formal speech and writing, including subjunctive forms.
- Using passive verbs.
- Using semi-colons to mark boundaries between independent clauses.
Feature Keys - vocabulary, manipulating sentences and tense, structure
- Select the appropriate style to engage the audience
- Engage reader through use of detail, description, feelings and opinions
- Use thematic language specific to the subject
- Use a wide range of cohesive devices e.g. conjunctions, synonyms, adverbials, punctuation
- Use verb tenses consistently and correctly
Class reading book: The Explorer
In the Spring Term, children will look at a range of mathematical concepts:
- Decimals - place value of decimals, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- Fractions, decimals and percentages - equivalents, ordering and percentages of amounts
- Area, Perimeter and volume - triangles, parallellograms and volume of cubiods
- Statistics - line graphs, pie charts and the mean
- Geometry - shape
Homework will be set each Friday for the following Friday. Children will be given a page of English and a page of Maths from their revision books. Reading is also still a big focus and children should aim to have at least 3 recorded reads a week - thhis can also include Reading Plus.
Files to Download
Year 6: News items
There are no News items to display
Year 6: Blog items
There are no blog items to display
Year 6: Gallery items
There are no Gallery items to display